Ohio in the Civil War
compiled by Larry Stevens
Lists of Soldiers and Officers
- Army Register of Ohio Volunteers in the Service Of the United States; Comprising the General Staff of State; Staff of the Various Departments; Lists of Brigadiers; Roll of Field, Staff and Commissioned Officers, and a Complete List of Casualties, Compiled from Official Records in the Adjutant General's Office. April 1862 listing of Ohio Officers. 74 pgs. Charles A. Poland. Published by the Ohio State Journal Printing Co. Columbus. Ohio. 1862
- Army Register of Ohio Volunteers in the Service Of the United States .... July 1862 listing of Ohio Officers. 85 pgs. Charles A. Poland. Published by the Ohio State Journal Printing Co. Columbus. Ohio. 1862
- Official Army Register of the Volunteer Officer Force of the United States Army for the years 1861, '62, '63, '64, '65. Part 5. Michigan & Ohio. Ohio pgs. 1-253. Published by order of the Secretary of War, in compliance with the Joint Resolution of the Senate & House of Rep., approved March 2, 1865. Adjutant General's Office. Washington. August 31, 1865. Reprinted: Ron Van Sickle Military Books. Gaithersburg. MD. 1987
- Official Roster of Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion. Twelve Volumes. Werner Company. Akron. Ohio. 1886-95
- Naval Records of Ohio Personnel, 1861-1895. Ohio. Adjutant General's Dept. 2.8 cubic ft. 1 folder oversized. Most records 1861-1865. Contains cards listing sailor's name, birthplace, where enlistment was credited, date of enlistment, term of enlistment, rank, vessels served on, and final disposition. State Archives Series. Located at Ohio Historical Society. Columbus. Ohio
- Index to compiled service records of Volunteer Union Soldiers who served in organizations from the state of Ohio. United States. Adjutant-General's Office. Washington. National Archives. National Archives and Records Service. 1964
- Ohio in the War. Her Statesmen, Generals and Soldiers. Whitelaw Reid. Two Volumes. Volume I, The History of Ohio During the War and the Lives of Her Generals. 1050 pgs. Volume II, The History of Her Regiments and other Military Organizations. 949 pgs. Moore, Wilstach & Baldwin. Cincinnati. Ohio. 1868
- Civil War Regiments From Ohio. by Joseph Warren Keifer. 324 pgs. Federal Publishing Company. 1908. Reprint: Civil War Regiments From Ohio. by Joseph Warren Keifer. 324 pgs. eBooksOnDisk.com Pensacola. Florida. 2004
- Ohio Handbook of the Civil War. Robert S. Harper. 78 pgs. Published by the Ohio Historical Society for the Ohio Civil War Centennial Commission. 1961
- Ohio In The Civil War. Military Images. Export. Pennsylvania. 48 pgs. Volume XXVII. Number 1. July/August. 2005. All Buckeye issue.
Inventories of Sources
- The Civil War Literature of Ohio: A Bibliography With Explanatory And Historical Notes. Daniel J. Ryan. The Burrows Brothers Company. Cleveland. Ohio. 1911
- A guide to the microfiche edition of Civil War unit histories. Part 4. The Union - Midwest and West: regimental histories and personal narratives. Project editor Robert E. Lester. Guide compiled by Blair D. Hydrick. Bethesda. Maryland. University Publications of America. 1994
- Ohio in the Civil War. by Larry Stevens. Published on the Web by the Author. Newark. Ohio. Since 1995
- "Buckeyes All" A Compendium and Bibliography; Ohio in the Civil War. Part I Revised. 248 pgs. 2004. Part II Revised. pgs. 240-455. 2004. Part III Revised. pgs. 456-569. 2004. Part IV Revised. pgs. 570-669. 2004. Part V Revised. pgs. 670-898. 2004. by Steven H. Ward. Privately Printed by the Author. Dayton and Cincinnati. Ohio. Copies of this work are located at the Ohio Historical Society, the Army's Carlisle Barracks Library, the Library of the Western Reserve Historical Society, the Ross County Historical Society and the Cincinnati Historical Society
Battlefield Commission Reports
- Ohio At Shiloh. Report of the Commission. T.J. Lindsey. Cincinnati. 1903
- Ohio At Antietam. Report of the Ohio Antietam Commission. D. Cunningham and W.W. Miller. Springfield. 1904
- Ohio At Vicksburg. Report of the Ohio Vicksburg Battlefield Commission. William P. Gault, Late Sgt. 78th O.V.I. Columbus. 1906
- Ohio Memorials At Gettysburg. Report of the Gettysburg Memorial Commission. Press of Nitschke Bros. Columbus. 1887
Reprint: Ohio Memorials At Gettysburg. Report of the Gettysburg Memorial Commission. Press of Nitschke Bros. Columbus. 1887. Reprinted as Volume 21. Army of the Potomac Series. Butternut and Blue. 3411 Northwind Road. Baltimore. Maryland. 21234. 1998
- Ohio At Chickamauga. Record of the Ohio Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Park Commission. Joseph H. McElroy, late Captain 18th Ohio Infantry. Earhart and Richardson. Columbus. 1896
- Report of the Ohio Andersonville Monument Commission. Ohio Andersonville Monument Commission. D.S. Wilder. President. E.F. Taggart. N.B. Mason. Secretary. Clyde. Ohio. 1902. Call# Venable 86. Ohio Historical Society. Columbus. Ohio
- Military History of Ohio. Illustrated in Editions by Counties. Soldiers Edition. H.H. Hardesty Publisher. Toledo. 1886. Giving a Roster of Ohio's Rank and File From the County in the War of the Rebellion, Regimental Histories, With Histories of Its G.A.R and Ladies' Auxiliary Posts, and Camps of Sons of Veterans. Editions exist for the following counties: Allen, Ashland, Ashtabula, Auglaize, Butler, Champaign, Clark, Clinton, Columbiana, Coshocton, Crawford, Darke, Delaware, Erie, Fayette, Franklin, Fulton, Geauga, Greene, Hancock, Hardin, Henry, Highland, Hocking, Huron, Jackson, Knox, Lawrence, Licking, Logan, Lorain, Mahoning, Marion, Medina, Mercer, Miami, Montgomery, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Pickaway, Pike, Portage, Richland, Ross, Sandusky, Scioto, Seneca, Shelby, Stark, Summit, Trumbull, Union, Van Wert, Vinton, Warren, Wayne, Williams, Wood and Wyandot.
The Ohio Civil War Genealogy Journal. Volume 10. Number 4. 2006. by The Ohio Genealogy Society. Mansfield. Ohio. contains a good article titled Hardesty's Military History of Ohio: An Inventory of Current Availability.
- Sketches of War History, 1861-1865. Papers read before the Ohio Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States . Nine Volumes. Published by the Ohio Commandery. Cincinnati. Vol. I - Vol. II - Vol. III - Vol. IV - Vol. V - Vol. VI - Vol. VII - Vol. VIII - Vol. IX.
- "The Ohio Soldier" and "National Picket Guard". Publisher: John T. Raper. 26th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Chillicothe. Ohio. 1887 to 1902
- G.A.R. War Papers. Papers Read Before Fred C. Jones Post No. 401, Dept. Of Ohio G.A.R.. E.R. Monfort. H.B. Furness. Fred H. Alms. Cincinnati. Ohio. 1891. 29 articles most by Ohio officers. Only scholarly work done by any Grand Army of the Republic Post.
Ohio Historical Society
- Ohio Civil War Centennial Commission Publications.
- The War of the Rebellion. A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. 128 Volumes. Washington. 1882-1900
- Military Operations of the Civil War: A Guide-Index to the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, 1861-1865. Washington: National Archives and Records Service. General Services Administration, U.S. Government Printing Office. 1968
- Regimental Losses in the American Civil War. William F. Fox. Albany Publishing Company. Albany. N.Y. 1889
- A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, compiled and arranged from official records of the Federal and Confederate armies, reports of the adjutant generals of the several states, the army registers, and other reliable documents and sources. Frederick H. Dyer. Torch Press. Cedar Rapids. Iowa. 1908. This has short histories of Ohio Regiments, their brigade and army attachments, etc.
- Numbers and Losses in the Civil War. Thomas L. Livermore. Indiana University Press. Bloomington. Indiana. 1957
- Military Bibliography of the Civil War. Three Volumes. Charles E. Dornbusch. The New York Public Library. 1961-1972
- The Union Army, 1861-1865: Organizations and Operations. 2 vols. Frank J. Welcher. Indiana University Press. Bloomington. Indiana. 1989 and 1993
- The National Tribune. Publisher: National Tribune Company. Washington D.C. 1877 to 1940. Veterans paper with great accounts of battles and soldier life.
- "To Care For Him Who Has Borne The Battle": Research Guide to Civil War Material in the National Tribune. Volume 1: 1877-1884. Dr. Richard A. Sauers. History Shop Press. Jackson KY 1995.
Go To Top of Page
More about Ohio and the Civil War
Copyright © 2012- Larry Stevens