3rd Ohio Independent Company Sharpshooters
compiled by Larry Stevens
References for this Unit
- see also Bibliography of State-Wide References
- Ohio In The War-Volume II. Whitelaw Reid. Moore, Wilstach & Baldwin. Cincinnati. 1868
- Military History (Michigan Boys): Birge's Western Sharpshooters in the Civil War, 1861-65. Lorenzo Barker. Blue Acorn Press. Huntington. West Virginia. 1994. Reprint with new material of 1905 edition. 185 p. E505.5.66th.B37.1994. USAMHI. Carlisle Barracks. PA
- The Patriotism of Illinois: A Record of the Civil and Military History of the State.... Vol. 2. Thomas M. Eddy. Clarke. Chicago. 1866. E505.4E21v2. pp. 65-69 (3 photocopied pages) for a brief unit history and roster of its officers. USAMHI. Carlisle Barracks. PA
- Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois. Vol. 4. Illinois Military & Naval Dept. Phillips. Springfield. Illinois. 1901. UA43I322v4. See pp. 379-430 (18 photocopied pages) for a roster of the regiment. USAMHI. Carlisle Barracks. PA
- Battle of Corinth: The Campaign Preceding and Leading Up to This Battle and Its Results. William B. McCord. Glimpses of the Nation's Struggle. MOLLUS. Minnesota. Vol. 4. Collins. St. Paul. Minnesota. 1898. pp. 567-84 (9 photocopied pages). E464M5.1991v29. USAMHI. Carlisle Barracks. PA
- A Complete Roster of the 66th Illinois Infantry: "The Squirrel Tale Brigade" Birge's Western Sharpshooters, Western Sharpshooters, 14th Missouri Infantry. Victor A. Paul. Editor. Obscure Place Pub. Washington. Missouri. 1995. 43 p. E505.5.66th.P38. USAMHI. Carlisle Barracks. PA
HistoryTen Independent Companies of Sharpshooters were recruited and partly organized at different periods during the war; all became parts of regiments in the field, and no distinct organization was affected from them. Three full companies were assigned to other states, Company G, organized at Dayton, to the Fourteenth Missouri; Company H, organized at Findlay, and Company K, at Lima, to the Sixty-Sixth Illinois; later, by special request, Company G was transferred to the same Regiment. The three Companies re-enlisted in December, 1863, and later took part in the Atlanta campaign, Sixteenth Corps, Army of the Tennessee.
From: The Military History of Ohio. By H.H. Hardesty
From Dyer's Compendium3rd Independent Company Sharpshooters. Organized at Lima, Ohio, March and April, 1862. Attached to Birge's Western Sharpshooters, 14th Missouri Infantry, and later 66th Illinois Infantry as Company "K."
More about the Civil War in Ohio.
Copyright © 1995 Larry Stevens
Last updated October 24 1997